BSc (Hons) Psych,Dip. Couns. MBACP
Having had personal experience of mental health issues, I understand that some people may feel daunted and worried in taking the first step in contacting a counsellor for help. Problems can arise from anywhere, family issues, fears, stress, health troubles, genetic issues (eg, bipolar), grief ... the list is endless as to what can cause us to struggle with life, causing depresson, anxiety, stress, rages, withdrawal from normal life ... Sometimes it can help to have someone there who can untangle the troubles and help you move forward.
Counselling can be a little scary at first, so I'd like to let you know a little bit about my counselling work. Firstly, I have counselling experience with IAPT service, Sevenoaks Mind, a secondary school and in private practice. I am a member of the BACP (the counselling professional body) which means there are strict guidelines as to how I work with my clients. I also am fully insured for my work.
In counselling sessions with me, you will not:
- be forced into telling me everthing on your mind
- be told what to do or how to live your life
- have a silent counsellor who just stares and nods
- take part in anything that you don't want to
- have your mind read - I cannot read minds and know what your're thinking.
What you will find in my sessions is that:
- I offer a welcoming, safe and confidential environment where you can explore whatever issues or concerns you wish
- I can help you untangle your thoughts to see things more clearly
- I use an integrative counselling approach - I have been trained in a number of approaches and can adapt to each client's needs, rather than having one approach for everything
- I can incorporate relaxation and mindfulness for those who are interested
- Confidentiality of clients is of great importance - anything said in the room, stays in the room. There are a couple of exceptions that we have to abide by but these are discussed with each client in their first session, but they are extreme circumstances and there to safeguard our clients and others.
- There is no pressure to continue forever - som only need a couple of sessions, or even just a relaxation session once a month. But others may need more extensive and long term sessions. It is guided by you.
Hopefully I have given yo a little introduction to counselling and how I work. I also hope that I have maybe dispelled some myths or questions you may have about councelling in general. If you have any other questions, please contact me on the details below and I will answer any that you have.
One last thing to remember as a client starting therapy is that there are many different approaches and many difference therapists. If you try on and don't like it, try a different one as not everyone will get along with every therapist or approach. And that goes for me too! If yo meet with me and realise I'm not for you, I will not be offended, rather I'd be happy that you know what you need!
So, if you feel you need to talk to someone rather than struggle with something, please give me a call or drop me a message.